Connecting Worldwide

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

This Wasn't the Orange County Swap Meet!

The rain began to drizzle when we got to the swap meet in Anchorage. These folks are hardy souls! We saw a lot of items for sale that you wouldn't find in California...that wolf pelt for instance. When Shirley said something about how sad it was, that man pictured started out about how not everyone lives near Safeway! We got the idea pretty quickly! The vegetables, while large, were very expensive, I thought, but we'd been told how expensive the cost of living was up there on some of the tours. Shirley was so excited to find her group gift exchange present, as I'd found mine in Skagway and Icy Strait Point. I also found a bead necklace made of Wooly Mamouth Ivory (!) and Caribou sausage, items unique to the area for sure!




Not having seen everything, but tired of the rain, we headed across the street to the Anchorage Hilton for lunch. I still wanted to photograph the art, as I had on the ship, but their bears and glass-encrusted salmon weren't quite the same...


My very last picture was blurry, but I could say it was like tears in my eyes when we finally had to leave for our flight home. I didn't want it to be over and I'd look forward to going again. This may have been the best vacation we had in years!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home